Sunday, February 3, 2013

Old Fashioned Cookery

The news that we're going to be working on another historical meal has got me a little amped up, especially because I get to work with some of my favorite people on this event and raise some money for a great cause.

For the third straight year, Fr. Andy and Fr. Josh down at St. Joseph's are going to auction off a dinner party to benefit St. Joseph School. Two years ago we did A Taste of Kentucky, with all of the dishes either being traditional Kentucky favorites or dishes inspired by the foods of the region. Last year the theme was A Tour of Italy. For this year, we're going to change things up, and instead of focusing on a place, we're going to take our inspiration from a bygone era. I'm not quite ready to reveal all the details of that event, but it did get me thinking of another event I did recently that had an historical theme: A Dickens Christmas.

This event was put on by the students at St. Thomas Aquinas on the WKU campus. I first met some of them when they were volunteering at our St. Patrick's Day benefit, and we've been working together ever since. What I really like is that they have some creative ideas, and I was excited when they approached me about doing a party themed around Victorian England. I knew it meant an excuse to do some research and maybe learn some new recipes. That's music to my ears.

To anybody familiar with English food, the menu won't be terribly surprising. We had a green salad with radishes and remoulade, roast beef, and Yorkshire pudding. That may not sound like anything unusual, but how many people have ever actually made Yorkshire pudding? Or prepared mincemeat from scratch? Those are the kinds of things that I don't get an excuse to make very often. It will be interesting to see how I can incorporate them into a modern menu somewhere down the road.






No comments:

Post a Comment